CodeWithMosh - React 18 for Beginners (Part 1)

CodeWithMosh - React 18 for Beginners (Part 1)

Register & Get access to index

simobm

TutFlixer
Sep 23, 2022
Morocco
Code with Mosh React 18 Part 1 is really good so far. I am also following the Frontend Master's Complete Intro to React v8 course by Brian Holt and his pace is a bit faster and you'll catch him referring to previous versions of his course or previous ways React did things, which if you're an absolute beginner to React, will throw you off. Mosh uses TypeScript, while Brian (in the intro course) uses JavaScript. I believe Brian moves to TypeScript in his React Intermediate v5 course though. With Mosh's course, you'll learn basic TypeScript along the way as he doesn't assume you know TS. So, it's still a very beginner-friendly course and a lot of professional devs use TS with React now.

So, just wanted to give a heads up to anyone deciding on learning React for the very first time.

Edit: I would avoid YT courses on React like Fireship, etc. You could also add Josh Comeau's course, but it's really overkill in my opinion. Josh uses a lot of text and video mixed in, so if that's not your style - you might give up on the course. This is what I was told. So, stick with a maximum of two courses on React and you'll be more than prepared to dig into React.
Hey @poonjab78 , thanks for your input, i actually started this course on his youtube Channel, and upon seeing that he was using typescript, i decided to learn typescript first. So far, typescript doesn't seem too hard to understand, i guess if you having some experience in C or Java you'd be able to understand most of it.

As for the FrontendMaster's Course, would it throw me off if i go directly into it? I haven't worked with React on a Real project, but i've done some courses in the past, i know React 18 has changed lots of things.

poonjab78

TutFlixer
Mar 20, 2021
India
Hey @poonjab78 , thanks for your input, i actually started this course on his youtube Channel, and upon seeing that he was using typescript, i decided to learn typescript first. So far, typescript doesn't seem too hard to understand, i guess if you having some experience in C or Java you'd be able to understand most of it.

As for the FrontendMaster's Course, would it throw me off if i go directly into it? I haven't worked with React on a Real project, but i've done some courses in the past, i know React 18 has changed lots of things.
No, not at all. Especially if you're going through Mosh's course, the little gaps Brian zooms past are covered with Mosh. Brian's course is really good so far, don't get me wrong. When I pointed out some minor gotchas with Brian's course, it was more so in comparison to Mosh's course. But, they are both worth while. I'm going through both and when I feel Brian is going a little faster than I would like (usually around React Hooks), I pause and go through Mosh's course. It's important for me to understand a concept first before using it on the fly. The great thing about Brian's course though is actually the project, because you're not learning concepts in isolation of how you would incorporate them into a real-world project. So, I think Mosh+Brian is like the ultimate weapon. I hear that Josh Comeau goes through smaller projects as well while teaching the concepts in isolation first. So, he's the doing the work of Mosh and Brian in one course. It's just whether reading text and watching videos suits your learning style.

I just remembered also that Tyler McGinnis has a React course coming out. I think his course will be geared towards learning React + being prepared for a Frontend/React interview. That's also really nice. It's nice that there are so many different teaching styles, but this is exactly why people end up in tutorial hell.

My philosophy is to learn something when you know you'll need it. So, Tyler's course will be the course I go through if I intend to apply for React jobs. But, until then, I'd rather focus on two courses and then build something on my own that I can put on my Github.

Edit: You can pick up TS with Mosh's course on the fly. But, if you really want to be a TS dev outside of React, then it makes sense to learn TS independently.

Edit 2: With Brian's course, since it's a large single project, I'm actually coding along so it sinks in. While with Mosh, I'm mostly making sure I understand what he's teaching since it's just concepts (so far). I'm not sure if he goes over a semi-complex project at any point in his lectures. I actually started learning React a year ago with Max's course on Udemy, but there were some small issues with the way he would gloss over some code changes from lecture to lecture that put me off and I stopped taking that course. He would later cover the code that changed in a future video, but when learning something for the first time, the learning should be synchronous and not asynchronous - at least for me.

Last edited:

simobm

TutFlixer
Sep 23, 2022
Morocco
No, not at all. Especially if you're going through Mosh's course, the little gaps Brian zooms past are covered with Mosh. Brian's course is really good so far, don't get me wrong. When I pointed out some minor gotchas with Brian's course, it was more so in comparison to Mosh's course. But, they are both worth while. I'm going through both and when I feel Brian is going a little faster than I would like (usually around React Hooks), I pause and go through Mosh's course. It's important for me to understand a concept first before using it on the fly. The great thing about Brian's course though is actually the project, because you're not learning concepts in isolation of how you would incorporate them into a real-world project. So, I think Mosh+Brian is like the ultimate weapon. I hear that Josh Comeau goes through smaller projects as well while teaching the concepts in isolation first. So, he's the doing the work of Mosh and Brian in one course. It's just whether reading text and watching videos suits your learning style.

I just remembered also that Tyler McGinnis has a React course coming out. I think his course will be geared towards learning React + being prepared for a Frontend/React interview. That's also really nice. It's nice that there are so many different teaching styles, but this is exactly why people end up in tutorial hell.

My philosophy is to learn something when you know you'll need it. So, Tyler's course will be the course I go through if I intend to apply for React jobs. But, until then, I'd rather focus on two courses and then build something on my own that I can put on my Github.

Edit: You can pick up TS with Mosh's course on the fly. But, if you really want to be a TS dev outside of React, then it makes sense to learn TS independently.

Edit 2: With Brian's course, since it's a large single project, I'm actually coding along so it sinks in. While with Mosh, I'm mostly making sure I understand what he's teaching since it's just concepts (so far). I'm not sure if he goes over a semi-complex project at any point in his lectures. I actually started learning React a year ago with Max's course on Udemy, but there were some small issues with the way he would gloss over some code changes from lecture to lecture that put me off and I stopped taking that course. He would later cover the code that changed in a future video, but when learning something for the first time, the learning should be synchronous and not asynchronous - at least for me.
Thanks for your thourough input, you're a good dev. Well i'm i started as a front-end some years ago, but never made it to a Framework, i know some of the ins and outs of Javascript, and find myself using JS every day even tough i'm a Backend. Nevertheless, i've been wanting to learn a JS Framework for a looong time now.

I wanted to take the TS course to know more about TS, how it works, why, when to use.

As for these courses, i've already intended to take both of them, since i like Mosh's teaching style and FrontEnd Masters material. I usually like to take courses where i learn building a project, so this would be perfect for me. As for Tyler and and Josh, i've never heard of them.

Thanks!

Merlin266

TutFlixer
Jan 20, 2023
Accra
It is not rubbish
It is a very good course but a lack of good video arrangement can make you waste all your time.
I have wasted all my time just to find out the proper arrangement.

marcgreg

TutFlixer
Nov 24, 2021
philippines
It is not rubbish
It is a very good course but a lack of good video arrangement can make you waste all your time.
It is not rubbish
you can refer to codewithmosh website arragement

dragosbas

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Jul 17, 2022
Romania
I personally did not like Mosh's coding syle and i find Brian's course way to expeditive.
But i loved the ZeroToMastery - React. I loved the project structure, the clear explanations and the final result. I would really sugest you give it a try ! It's long but i reccomend it to all beginners starting React.

You can find it here :

https://tutflix.org/threads/zerotom...eveloper-in-2023-w-redux-hooks-graphql.12060/

Merlin266

TutFlixer
Jan 20, 2023
Accra

somiron_ray

TutFlixer
May 2, 2021
Bangladesh
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Mosh Hamedani
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Last edited:

Latest resources