Are you "I want to do everything but I end up doing nothing" kind of person?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
I can totally relate to what you mentioned! And learning new stuff just for the sake of it is satisfying in the moment. But the material doesn't even stick for too long. The worst part - in a couple of weeks after the course, almost everything is forgotten and you are back to square one.

encephalitis

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
india
haha i just love this topic , this is so me. Let me tell you the whole story you'll definitely feel a bit comfortable after reading this. So , i was this guy who had no idea about what even in swd or knew html or let's just say anything related to computer much. All i used to just play video games for hours and hours on computer. My parents thought that i liked it and made me to take a course on that. At first i was attracted alot to C language and then i started to like C++ days passed by i was introduced to pointers I struggled alot but i got a good grip of it

then i started liking data structures and algorithms and started to practise competitive programming in C++ but as time passed by i was using much pointers in those logic which eventually made my implementation damn slow. So , i started to learn this fascinating language called python (with data structures) ,now my implementation was good but my run time got worsen.
So, i practiced it on paper.

In college, i was introduced to fascinating thing called AI,ML,DS(data science). Like everyone it got my eyes, i started to learn AI i spent nearly 7-8 months learning and then i got to know i need huge math and ML was a subset of AI , so i jumped to ML but this time found several things that were repeated and then i went over youtube saw all math related to ML and then started learning ML i spent another like 4-5 months on ML just to know that i need applied mathematics to understand and tweak the models, i felt it's not my thing again and Started to follow DS(i didn't start learning) for a month i was searching atmost of things and resources to learn atleast this efficiently, this time i got to know just within a month that again this isn't my thing but this time i was smart enough to understand this is not my thing in 1 month :p

In, all fascination , my college mates were acing and doing good in web development learning react js and stuff they went few national level competitions namely(SIH) and won 2 times.So , i thought atleast they could help me and planned to learn web development. I went over and asked but they refused to help and i got some tuts to learn web development , i got really frustrated once i saw i need to type huge and huge numerous number of lines (As usual i gave up but within a week :p), another college mate of mine was learning cyber security , so now this time i went to cyber security :p

i'd say this time it was good and did few good courses and learnt alot spent likely an year on it but this time i wanted to be conventional for the time being , so i used something i learnt from previously, cyber security has prerequiste that the pursuer needs to have a strong foundation in networking. I got a book on networking with c++(yeah boom :p), i was really interested this time but again C/C++ + networking wasn't easy huge and huge complicated stuffs that i needed to go again i quit :p

This was the moment i started to realise, is this field suitable for me ? Months and months again passed by and i got really sad that have i took a wrong decision.
(5-6) months passed by

Again, somehow i gathered all the courage to start from scratch , i went over learning flutter for cross platform development , well as usual i didn't like it much and quit :p .
Now , (present) i'm in third year 2nd semester i've got my placements within 3-4 months yeaah idk anything :p not even a single project !

This is what i did:
searched how an interview works go to know few things:
1.basics
2.competitive programming type questions
3.project + tech stack

This is what i did , i know the basics are from (OS,Computer networks, dbms, SWE) , so i put them on hold
i started again competitive programming a bit to practice i learnt i have went way down hill and forgot alot (i practised it form past 2-3 months) and again on hold.
Currently , i started learning python with django :p (i downloaded the tuts from here <3 tutflix <3) Educative io(django) so far good going and i'm really loving it
and on side-by-side gonna learn html and CSS , inorder to make a decent webpage ,for frontend i've planned for Flutter (since i had a taste of it)

But this time the only thing i changed was , i gave a reason and a purpose to learn such that i need to get an internship , least to put on my resume :p , this time i feel not gonna give up all in sudden.

I could have said the entire post in a simple sentence stating that "identify a problem/give a reason" so you can be fixed onto it till reaching it's depth , but knowing this full story of mine might help you in some way to understand this map or need for giving a reason :D :)

hey, i forgot to mention that , i even on the way back down tried to learn selenium in python + java :p and made some pointless scripts for my college mates to download anime :p

Good luck fellow Dev :D ;)

CEO

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
TutFlixer
Sep 10, 2020
USA
Great discussion and @aratnahar, Thanks for bringing up
I too have it.
Its all about connecting the dots, You can only connect the dots backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.

So did any dots got connected for me?
Yes few, But I learned very late that if more dots are near, they get connected easily. Eg: Similar Tech stacks gets relevance sooner
But real magic happens if far dots gets connected. Eg: My Public speaking and Software Dev got connected

Lolxmofo

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Jan 10, 2021
India
1 golden rule I read on a forum somewhere is its not how much you consume but how much of it you use.
This basically says that don't just watch lectures try and implement them. And after the course do a big project on them.
Dont bang yourself about being a collector. In the end of the day you are improving.

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Well looks like we aren't alone after all. Many wonderful folks here have shared their tips. I'm going to check each of those. I'm sure there is no one-size-fits-all answer, but we can read & see what works for us.

Reactions: Dr_jack

Mortemayhem

TutFlixer
Jan 16, 2021
Bat Country
Sorry guys I am the killjoy
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Xmind(a "mind mapping maker") will help you to manage your knowledge. Just use the "Divide & Conquer" and Anki to keep all these knowledge throught "spaced repetition". If you don´t know the meanings of the terms just use google (sorry, my english isn´t that well for a longer explanation)

imraxstar

TutFlixer
Sep 12, 2020
Mars
Every skill has the ability to make so much money.
You just name it but what depends is - how great you are at it. If you have truly mastered the one thing - you can charge any amount of money.
Let's say you know programming but you are not great at it - how you can charge the big money , you charge according to your expertise.
Avg actor/dancer/singer/player/gamer/coder/programmer/engineer/doctor/designer/ Vs the great experts.

Who charge more - the one who holds more expertise and subject knowledge not average ones.

Any skill - take it to another level - to make big money.
People do not give money to average one.

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Sounds like a plan. In similar vein, a gentleman shared a good website with tech-wise roadmap.

Sometimes the sheer volume of things that need to get done seems overwhelming. But I guess we'll need to forego the fluff and stick to crucial things only.

Reactions: Ceaseless

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Damn I feel called out lol. I have a very bad habit of passively consuming tuts without ever getting my hands dirty. Splitting time might send me in the same downward spiral, so right now I think I'm better off concentrating on one thing, even if it bores me to death. At least that'll build much needed focus.

Reactions: Kawthar

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Thanks man! I've come to find this out the hard way. There is no BEST resource. I'm going to stick to one book and one video series, just so that I'm covering most ground related to Django(my current focus).

And you certainly hit the nail on the head with that #3. Looking for newer resources has almost become like a quick dopamine fix, much like scrolling indefinitely for something 'exciting' on fb feed. Need to hold myself back!

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
That's actually quite a good approach. I mean to try to do it on your own - using official docs + google / stackoverflow only -, no matter how crappy the code will look, and if it works properly at all. Then from a tutorial, see how it's done and replace the worse parts + understand why the tutorial solution is better ( if it is better ).

I think most people on these forums have this never-ending procrastination problem, since we are here on the lookout for new and interesting stuff. Not that it's a bad thing in itself.

[ I have so much stuff on udemy as well, thanks to this forum (and the free coupons) that I will never ever finish a measly 10% of them either. ]

Reactions: anonymousy

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Wow that's a quote right there! And I agree - finding your passion is difficult, most people stumble onto it.

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Just picked up bullet journaling recently to manage daily tasks. I like the idea of creating an overarching plan for 6months, and come back to it for an accountability check. Otherwise days just seem to pass by.

Reactions: hacstac

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
Indeed! I've been in many other forums but mostly lurked and then quit it. Now its upto me to make constructive use of it, but am quite glad to have find this gem of a community.

anonymousy

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Dec 19, 2020
India
It is always easier to start from scratch, rather than sticking into something.

^ Bane of my existence! Well said!!

Learning is easy. Building is immensely hard. I dig the idea of an introspective blog detailing the project at the end!

Reactions: anor4kk

Latest resources