What computer do you code on?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

Ziion

TutFlixer
Dec 10, 2020
USA
At the moment I currently use a 2015 Macbook Pro 13" running Big Sur. It's not bad but it's starting to show its age. I really enjoy coding on MacOS but I also have an older desktop with dual monitors that I will code on sometimes using Windows.

What are you coding on?

Reactions: twistertune

redinoj

TutFlixer
Dec 13, 2020
IN
A Lenovo Thinkpad T480 Running Windows and a VMWare instance running Ubuntu.

Ziion

TutFlixer
Dec 10, 2020
USA
Nice. I have an old Thinkpad w540 that needs a new screen laying around. It was my baby at one point. Upgraded the hell out of it.. new trackpad, HD screen replacement, backlit keyboard, bumped the memory up from 8gb to 28gb.

Thinkpad keyboards are the best. Could use one all day.

M3Z7Q

TutFlixer
Sep 11, 2020
India
Dell XPS 15 9570

Here are some applications which I use in my daily life

IDEs
1. IntelliJ
2. Eclipse
3. VS Code
4. PyCharm
5. MySQL Workbench
6. Adobe Xd
7. Local (Wordpress)

Video Editors
1. DaVinci Resolve 16

Screen Recorder
1. OBS Studio

Productivity
1. Microsoft ToDo
2. Notion

Reactions: Ziion

twistertune

TutFlixer
Sep 16, 2020
Netherlands
1.Desktop - Ryzen 1700x, 32GB ram, 4TB SSDs, RTX 3060ti, RX 580 - Linux Mint 20 Xfce host with Windows 10 and MacOS Catalina VMs. Mostly the MacOS VM for coding and Windows 10 VM for gaming via GPU passthrough
2. Laptop - Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro Top Model (with 16GB, 512GB SSD, Big Sur)
3. Laptop - 2020 16" Macbook Pro Top Model (with 32GB, 2TB SSD, Catalina)
4. 34" 1440p monitor + 2x 27" monitor

Desktop and 2013 MBP are my own and I use them for personal projects/learning; while the 2020 MBP and the 34" monitor are work issued. The 2013 MBP is definitely getting slow, especially since now I'm comparing it to the work 16" MBP. Still a beast of a machine, just can't run VMs on it that well. Not to mention the Big Sur update really messed up some of the drivers (printers, Ethernet adapter etc.) so not using it as much

bump

Mankind, Be vigilant.
TutFlixer
Sep 7, 2020
Earth
A potato, think of 2-4 minutes (or even more) just boot, 5 minutes to open VSCode, 10+ minutes to open android studio. (yeah i need to upgrade to SSD)
but the multi monitor setup really are game changer, too bad my other monitor broke sometime ago, thinking on buying a new one if i'm not also broke af.
my pc using windows 10 pro, but got wsl2 installed (it's quite something), oh and also docker, my laptop (probably gonna dead soon) using ubuntu 20.04
i heard macOS ecosystem are nice, they using unix, haven't try it tho.

this is just my opinion.

twistertune

TutFlixer
Sep 16, 2020
Netherlands
No issues. First gen Ryzen is still a total baller and i'm not really leaving much performance on the table. Although, I was planning on selling the 1700x and getting a 5950x this past December for its 16 core/32 threads, but the PC components market in my country is really bad here. Will probable wait another year and see how gen 4 turns out to be.

Reactions: nytlrnr

nytlrnr

TutFlixer
Jan 17, 2021
India
@twistertune yes, the PC component prices have gone through the roof everywhere. I was also thinking of building a new system but will probably wait for a 6 months before these come back to earth!

• Sad
Reactions: twistertune

Latest resources