[POLL] Which online learning platforms are you engaged the most?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

Which online learning platforms are you engaged the most?

• Coursera/EdX

• Udemy

• Udacity

• Treehouse

• Pluralsight

• Lynda

• Skillshare

Results are only viewable after voting.

rishu2022

Invest if you can afford it. Always.😎
TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
Based my own experiences, I'll talk about a few platforms where investing money has a few perks, and is not harsh on your pocket. A few platforms which are a bang for your buck apart from Udemy, are:

1. Scrimba - Great for front-end at a cheap price: Was costing around 1700 Rupees for a period of 6 months, a couple of weeks backs. They have a very different learning environment where the IDE is sort of alive along with the video, all of the time. You can immediately pause the video, and type out code for practice. These guys deserve to get paid.

2. Datacamp - A months back it was costing 7k Rupees for a whole year which is not bad considering the assortment of courses they've got. They also have an integrated IDE environment which can be used for impromptu practice on their website. These guys also deserve to get paid.

3. LinkedIn Learning - The quizzes after each module are awesome to test whether you have learned things properly or not. Cost is around 1500 Rupees for a month which is about the same as Codecademy but LinkedIn Learning is much better in terms of coverage. Moreover for 1500 you get full access to full catalogue (all video courses) and certificates. The only things it lacks is an integrated IDE for practice.

4. Udemy <- Some courses are so good that it will blow your mind. I have been buying such courses once there's an assurance that my money's not getting wasted.

5. Coding Ninjas - Disclaimer: This one is a bit too expensive, and if you can manage with the videos and included questions out there on Tutflix, then fine! There may be better, cheaper alternatives out there, but I have only tried Coding Ninjas, so I'll talk about them. Their C++ and Java tracks are very good. Questions that follow after videos really help in applying whatever you've just learnt, and they have an integrated IDE. The structure of the curriculum is very good after finishing which you can start attempting and solving Leetcode problems. They have tests after module completion, great practice questions after lectures, and a network of Teaching Assistants to support you. A few of the courses are free. Their WebDev is not that good. Python could be better (for Python there's a Deep Dive course on Udemy, apart from Jose Portilla, which is still unbeatable). Invest if you want, but note that only basic programming courses are bang for the buck on Coding Ninjas.

Other mentions:

Dataquest <- Avoid it. Text based. Datacamp beats it hands down. Also, it is expensive. Same goes for Udacity -- very expensive for what they provide.

TeamTreehouse <- Hands down the best core web development learning experience out there! The web development path is incredibly well laid out and will teach you everything you need to get started. The production value is very high. They have integrated IDEs as well. But a bit expensive, overall.

Educative <- If you like text based learning then this is a great platform for a focused interview preparation. Has integrated IDEs. But very expensive. If there's a great sale, grab it. Or search for educative.io archived (mhtml) courses on the internet.

Pluralsight <- Highest production value out of all platforms I've experienced. For C# and .NET nothing comes close.

Frontend Masters <- Quality is top-notch. Catalogue is small compared to competitors. They focus on quality, but they are expensive. Very good if you want a deep dive on topics they do have.

Last edited:

jackgow

Premium User
Premium
TutFlixer
Jan 8, 2021
India
I think @rishu2022 has covered really well on the above message. I agree the same too.
Here is from my past experience:

O'reilly (Safari Online) - Best for learning real-world stuff. You'll see many courses being instructed by working professionals and I felt they can teach better than a teaching professional for at-least the real-world use-cases. You'll kind of get vast categories to choose from including the ebooks from various providers like PacktPub & some courses you'll find on Udemy as well. The other important resource is workshops provided on various topics to the depth. You can join as much as workshop you want and talk to the teachers in real-time to clarify the doubts. You'll also have access to all the O'reilly conference videos. For pricing, I think on black Friday you can get it for $199/year, else $299/year.

Linux Academy - If you're into DevOps/SysAdmin/Cloud this is one of the best. Updated stuff related Linux, Containers/k8s, OpenStack, Jenkins, Ansible and more. They also have practical labs to try things out.
NOTE: "Linux Academy" was acquired by "A Cloud Guru" and again that was acquired by "PluralSight" now. - I really don't know all the courses will be merged into a single portal or not.

Cloud Academy - If you're into pure cloud stuff. i.e., AWS / Azure / GCP / Ali Cloud etc., This is the best you can get. Many real-world topics will be covered along with practice lab access for them. They cover scenario by solution for many cloud specific use-cases.

SitePoint - If you're into front-end and this will be good resource for you. They have videos courses, workshops and ebook as well. I heard these days they also publish non-frontend stuff as well.

Latest resources