Discussion: Cloud Storage and File-Sharing Services

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

octrhiumlofera

TutFlixer
Sep 9, 2020
Indonesia
Unofficial Guide: Cloud Storage & File-Sharing Services
by octrhiumlofera

Last Updated: 18 Sep 2020

DISCLAIMER: This guide is NOT OFFICIAL, but it adheres to the official resource submission guide + rules and make sure to read that one first before using this thread!

Author’s Note (18 Sep 2020):

Although the title suggests this thread is a discussion, I’ve decided to make it more as a guide now. So, feel free to make use of this guide as comfortably as you wish. (You don’t need to feel obliged to react or post in this thread.)

This guide is for everyone who are willing to share their resources in this forum but haven’t decided which cloud storage or file-sharing service to store them. I will keep updating this thread as time goes on. If you have anything in mind regarding this topic, feel free to ask/discuss/suggest in this thread.

Most Popular

01_mega_logo.svg

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ZippyShare_logo.png

RACATY

Other Services

Google_Drive_logo.svg

• Domain: drive.google.com
  • Year of Launch: 2012
  • As per this forum’s rules, we are NOT allowed to share files bigger than 1 GB from Google Drive.
  • Included for every Google account, it gives you 15 GB for free.
  • An EDU account or Google Suite potentially gives you unlimited storage. (there are caveats, but I need to research more)
  • Recent changes to limitations (~11 Sep 2020) makes it way less compelling option. Who knows what other restrictions Google will come up next...
    • 2 TB download limit per file now can’t be bypassed with “make a copy”. In fact, making a copy of file counts as download quota as well.
    • 10 TB download/copy limit per Shared Drive or EDU account might also be imposed. (not official, source: r/DataHoarder)

Box%2C_Inc._logo.svg

• Domain: box.com
  • Year of Launch: 2005
  • It gives you 15 GB of free storage with a maximum of 250 MB for each file.
  • Two-step verification only through SMS, and mine is broken in most cases (I had to contact support).
  • Not really popular compared to other big competitors (MEGA, Dropbox, OneDrive).
  • Internal development seems to be stagnant, in my opinion.

Dropbox_logo_2017.svg

• Domain: dropbox.com
  • Year of Launch: 2007
  • Very limited disk space (2 GB) in free tier.
  • You can comment on the file as long as the owner permits. Not really useful in our case, though.

OneDrive_logo_and_wordmark.svg

• Domain: onedrive.live.com
  • Year of Launch: 2007
  • Can be a great deal as long as you have Office subscription (which gives you 1 TB of storage).
  • Not so if you don’t have Office subscription (only 5 GB available).
  • Upload and download speed isn’t great compared to Google Drive. (from survey + my experience)

Yandex%20Disk.svg

• Domain: disk.yandex.com
  • Year of Launch: 2012
  • It gives you 10 GB of free storage.
  • Account registration process is a nuisance, sometimes not even working (particularly the captcha part).
  • The UI isn’t very intuitive.

Need to Avoid
Author’s Note (again):

Basically, you need to avoid services that only store files TEMPORARILY by default (such as WeTransfer and Send Anywhere). Unless you have purchased one of their premium tiers (which typically enables “no time-limit sharing”), absolutely don’t use them for the sake of this forum.

mf_logo_u1_full_color.svg

• Domain: mediafire.com
  • Year of Launch: 2006
  • Lack features. (Particularly, no desktop app.)
  • Doesn’t have rclone support (if you know what it is).
  • Nowadays, it has many bad reviews. (source: alternativeto.net)
  • Bad upload speed (100 KB/s–400 KB/s, it was worse when I tried it, though).
  • May display ads in download page.
  • P.S. I personally haven’t used it for a while, but last I tried, the experience was disappointing.
From here, I’m just gonna list those services right away. Resources that use the services below will most likely be not approved, anyway.
(Most of them are due to their enforcement to use premium accounts just to download files from them.)

• Uptobox.com (uptobox.com)
  • Rapidgator (rapidgator.net)
  • Nitroflare (nitroflare.net)
  • 4shared (4shared.com)

To Be Reviewed
  • 1fichier.com (1fichier.com)
  • pCloud (pcloud.com)
  • Gofile (gofile.io)
  • MegaUp (megaup.net)

Room for Improvement
  • Clear details of advantages and limitations for each service.
  • Paid options and comparisons between them.
  • Better post/thread design? (Don’t like BB code, personally. I dreamed of using Markdown...)

Last edited:

TUTProfessor

Processing....
Staff member
Administrator
Uploader
Jul 31, 2020
I m not allowing any Gdrive link on Resources For Free Users.
There is a chance of heavy leecher. Only Premium Users Can Download From Gdrive Link. (Because There is No Limit)

Providing with a limit may encourage a user to buy premium and support us, not to waste our time, server expenses, hardwork and brain. No one will offer you Free & Unlimited Options for Download/Acess Any Effective Materials. If it's Wrong, I also have to Say Good-Bye from the project. No need to spend my and my team's valuable times & Server Expenses.

When we can earn much through google AdSense, we can offer some free premium courses (which will be self-purchased for forum users).

Whatever you want to contribute to the forum, talk/ask/take suggestions from me first. Thank you.

Reactions: swot

octrhiumlofera

TutFlixer
Sep 9, 2020
Indonesia
I appreciate your reply. I’m glad I haven’t used Google Drive links on my resources yet.

That said, isn’t MEGA not that much different compared to Google Drive? What kind of limit are you implying here? Don’t links from MEGA also have a chance to be infested by leechers?

Not trying to impose anything on you. I’m still comfortable with what and how you have provided to us so far.

Edit: I think I get what you mean. You’re talking about download quota per account, which isn’t imposed in Google Drive. I think that’s fair, but take into account that there is already download frequency limit for free users in this forum, so why not use just that anyway? It’s way more effective .

Also, there are quite a lot of hosting sites that tend to act more towards Google Drive (no download quota or limit). If you really want us beside you to use something like MEGA, then you have to impose resource providers with a tough restriction, as soon as possible.

Moreover, if money is really a concern, you can modify the download links we provide to display some ads first. Since more resources will be added by more users (which also keep increasing) in this forum, you will get much more income. There should be a way to do that on backend.

Edit 2: Sorry. I hope I’m not triggering you or anything. I’m just hoping the community will grow and you will no longer have to worry about financial matter because you’ve done a great job backing up this community.

Edit 3: This comment is no longer relevant. Don’t read it too much, everyone. :)

Last edited:

bump

Mankind, Be vigilant.
TutFlixer
Sep 7, 2020
Earth
Is this the official guide (and rules) or "not really official but we need to follow it" guide ?

TUTProfessor

Processing....
Staff member
Administrator
Uploader
Jul 31, 2020
Reactions: bump

bump

Mankind, Be vigilant.
TutFlixer
Sep 7, 2020
Earth
Ah yeah I see that, but yeah make it bigger soo people see it first time
it's kinda rhetorical question to be honest, just don't mind it eh

octrhiumlofera

TutFlixer
Sep 9, 2020
Indonesia
Hi, @TUTProfessor . You haven’t responded to my request yet. If you feel disturbed, you can just delete them.

(Also, I’ve been trying to find a way to delete my own messages/posts/threads, but it’s proving to be impossible.)

octrhiumlofera

TutFlixer
Sep 9, 2020
Indonesia
A little update.

Turns out Mozilla is no longer considering to relaunch
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. Its website redirects to Mozilla homepage, now. (Source:
)

I will also review
next time, which is also a Zippyshare alternative. Might take weeks for the next update — I’ve been quite busy lately.

Latest resources