Best Way to learn React - Question

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

JSLover

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
Delta@143
Hello Friends,

Can any one advise me , what is the best way to master React and confirm if there is any multiple production level courses available in TUTFLIX.

Note : Please share your experience if there is any senior React developer in this TUTFLIX FORUM.

Reactions: gamerin

rishu2022

Invest if you can afford it. Always.😎
TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
(NOTE: These are not meant for the OP. These posts below can be referred to by any beginner in this field who lands on this thread for a roadmap on how to start. They are meant to be a repository of intro advice.)

I'll try sharing a few learnings from my recent experience, as it has been more than a month since I've been learning Angular (similar to React, but more complicated) for the front-end. For back-end, I've been learning C#. There are many free resources to learn web development put up by Software Giants that you can always refer to. (Eg:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, etc).

You can also refer to free roadmaps to get you started: Eg-

An important thing is to "fulfill" the pre-requirements / prerequisites before you even start learning any framework. I wasted a lot of time in the-back-and-forth learning of concepts I didn't know just because of a lack of sequence. So this post covers only the prerequisites.

[To learn any of the topics below you don't need to spend a dime! Will take one month maximum if followed diligently.]

1. Learn how HTTP and APIs work first. Best course for that introduction was
. There are great free resources as well. Familiarize yourself with basics of JSON, XML, Ajax as well. Just the basics, nothing more. (Eg: Going through
for json is enough, similarly there're good resources for XMl and Ajax overviews)

A list of resources :

Last edited:

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
Last edited:
Reactions: JSLover

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
3. Then learn the bare minimum basics of CSS, and Bootstrap. Just the basics -- to familiarize yourself with what they are. Don't spend more than 10 hours on this for theory, and 10 hours for practice.

Many free resources out there. A few of them:

Wes Bos free cssgrid, flexbox courses.

You can also refer to Jon Duckett's book. Or Jennifer Niederst Robbins book.
And also follow experts: Jonas Schmedtmann, Kevin Powell - on YT and Scrimba , Adam Schwartz , Rachel Andrew, etc.[/FONT]

Last edited:

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
4. Familiarize yourself with basic OOPs concepts, classes, objects, type casting, scopes (in any programming language) Eg:

Familiarize yourself with SQL as well (basics, stored procedures, functions, triggers, joins, etc). I found DataCamp very good for basics.

5. Then comes vanilla JavaScript. JavaScript has evolved into a fairly powerful language. Spend at least 3 weeks minimum on learning Javascript (assuming 7-8 hours of learning in a day). There's no maximum time to be spent as JS takes time to master - no two ways about that. But 3 weeks minimum is a must. Spend good amount of time in learning it. You can just learn the bare minimum basics and proceed to learning react, but leaning JavaScript well will build your resume. So while you're at it, don't skip it. Also while you are at it familiarize yourself a bit with NodeJs + NPM (can refer nodeschool) as well (just the bare minimum basics - 3 hours theory, 3 hours practice). Learn DOM manipulation as well.

JavaScript topics to know: arrays, recursion, closures, promises, scopes, async/await, arrow funcrions, pure functions, functional methods, sending and receiving data, what ES6 brought to the table, map/reduce/filter, spread operator, destructuring, babel, bla bla bla).

Great free resources:

Frontend Masters Free Courses on SignUp + You-Dont-Know-JS github repo,

theodinproject.com

Wes Bos - javascript30

Great paid resource for Advanced Js:
Frontend Masters (Will Sentance, Kyle Simpson),
Anthony Alicea,
Marijn Haverbeke,
Wes Bos,
Andrew Mead,
Jonas Schmedtmann
Net Ninja,
John Smilga,
Brad Travesy's 20 vanillawebprojects,
JavaScript - The Tricky Parts and JavaScript Algorithms + Data Structures from Academind (Maximilian Schwarzmüller) .

6. One month should have passed by now. Now jump on to React. Learn the architecture first, and structure of a typical react app. Then the CLI. Get very familar with what components are. Then data binding. Then routing, etc, etc. A React expert might guide you better here. I'm an Angular guy. But do build two, three projects as you learn.

If you've invested properly a month in completing the above prerequisites, learning React won't take more than a month. Be assured.

Last edited:

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
For React good sources are (in better-to-worse-sequence-for-absolute-beginners):

Brian Holt on Frontend Masters
Maximilian Schwarzmüller on Udemy
Scrimba (free: scrimba.com/learn/learnreact)
fullstackopen.com
Tyler McGinnis, founder of ui.dev (paid)
Stephen Grider on Udemy
Egghead (egghead.io/q/react)
Kent C. Dodds - Epic React
Reed Barger/ Wes Bos

Last edited:

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
The most important thing is NOT to hop around doing different courses. Once you find one (and all of these mentioned are ok as far as I know them) stick with it, go to the end. If one concept needs clarification, just google it, look it up on mdn (mozzilla dev. network) or stack overflow. The worst thing one can do is doing multiple courses at once, repeating the same things from a different angle over and over and over.

Once you know the basics, do a small todo list or calendar or snake game, anything that seems simple (but wont be) with react or whatever you like. Use create-react-app as that will save you a massive headache from trying to configure the build yourself.

sameer434

TutFlixer
Oct 28, 2020
india
@dikk Hy...Thanks buddy for this helpfull words...I experience this thing with javascript where I was learning through multiple resources....
I started react today with stephen grider's react course ( Udemy )....But don't know its beginner friendly or not ...Can you also suggest some courses??

Last edited:

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
academind courses are very beginner friendly (they start slow, lots of exercises). and I also like wes bos and brad traversy 's courses. they are a bit more faster. And also books are a great resource.

these 2 are quite good ones. but there are tons of good books. they all have a github repo listed in the books first chapters so you can use that to have a look.

sameer13899

TutFlixer
Dec 31, 2020
India

The best resource and the fastest way to learn react, as per my knowledge. I have started learning react past two weeks and this is very helpful.

You should have prior knowledge of html, css and JavaScript(basic js including dom manipulation, functions and promises), then u're good to go with this.

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
The official docs - especially if they are good - are always the best choice, so yes, I agree with this one too. All the other courses and stuff are also created using what? The official docs + coding trial and error, and so on.

But especially for beginners there are also stuff that is useful.

Reactions: sameer434

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
Because I availed the services of a mentor/job consultant and he told me so. That guy is a part-time corporate trainer and as a side git he pushes people from various backgrounds into the software development field. I think at the enterprise level, web development has always been dominated by PHP and JavaScript.

For backend, at enterprise level, PHP frameworks, Java and .NET take the cake. Python and Node is used by a few startups and they have, as well, created a market for themselves in web-dev backend. But it's still a tiny share as these are very new entrants in the market. And learning Python for web development is still considered niche by industry experts. Python rules in the ML/Data Sciences though. So Python, C++, and a few other languages (like Go) were ruled out for me. Among my choices - PHP, Java and C#, I chose C#. If you learn C#, you learn .NET as well.

All .NET technologies couple well with Angular as can be seen in their industry usage together (compared to React/Vue). Angular is highly opinionated and as such you're less likely to screw up with Angular in an enterprise environment. If you're an angular noob, you're sort of forced to learn TypeScript, all the important design patterns (factory, SAGA, observer, etc) and the best practices of coding like Single Responsibility Principle, Dependency Inversion, etc and all these make you a better web developer.

All that said, much remains to be seen whether the mentor was right or wrong.

Last edited:

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
Dude, refer a book. With a book you rarely go wrong. The level of details required to understand a subject in one go is rarely present in a video course.

You can create a free account on O'reilly and read all the books for free (10 day free trail with no credit card). Pick one. Set a target of 1 chapter a day, or something similar. And complete it from start to finish.

After that you can skip and hop to different material, but start using 1 good book (see reviews on Amazon.com before deciding) and complete it no matter what.

dikk is right about adhering to one path until you finish it.

Last edited:

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
@rishu2020 You can't be wrong by betting on C# / angular. These will not go away in the foreseeable future. And all these design patterns, enterprise arch. patterns are valid for node / python as well. The language itself does not really matter that much. There are way too many similarities between these languages anyway (all of them have classes, functions, etc., ok node's event loop is a bit different but nothing too fancy). Clojure or haskell or erlang would be something completely different though (again not really used in everyday mainstream coding).

Reactions: rishu2022

elliotalderson

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
TutFlixer
Sep 11, 2020
India
@rishu2020 Thanks for the detailed reply buddy. I am currently doing an internship at a company. They use Angular/.NetCore. To be honest, I've developed hate towards this stack. I think I should give it more time and stay on it.

Reactions: rishu2022

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
@elliotalderson I can totally relate.

Guys working in this field have advised me to at least master C# and JavaScript/TypeScript with full rigor.

Like you, I'm also not enjoying these frameworks as much as I should, but the languages: C# and TypeScript are indeed beautiful.

I guess only time will tell what's the future of Angular. I guess React, unlike Angular, requires a solid foundations on JavaScript, and since it is not a fully fledged framework like Angular, there's more freedom to do things as you like. But what experienced devs told me was that this freedom could be counter-productive for a new developer. Angular forces you to learn best practices unlike React.

Reactions: elliotalderson

sameer434

TutFlixer
Oct 28, 2020
india
Why kent react is not beginner friendly....I really like his way of teaching...Should I learn fundamentals from others and come back to kent from intermediate react??

Reactions: Swastik

rishu2022

TutFlixer
Oct 6, 2020
Google
Buddy. Do what suits you. I'll talk about the list above. I made the React resources list after scanning dozen of posts on Reddit for recommended resources. Some people were finding Kent not suitable for absolute beginners. Same for Wes Bos. Reed Barger's Udemy course reviews have multiple mentions that his course is not for newbies.

But all of that is someone else's opinion. You do you. Don't be in a dilemma as to what is better as it kills productivity. The satisfaction level of people from all these courses are high - that's it. In the age of the Internet blog posts and Stack Overflow answers most doubts should be solvable, be it any course one picks.

dikk

TutFlixer
Sep 8, 2020
eu
"Unfortunately" this is the same thing with everything in life. No one can tell you - except you yourself - what is the best way to learn or do something. For some: reading books is best. For others it is good to see someone typing in the code and explaining it in a very detailed and repetitive way to grok it. For others they need fast and to the point explanations and don't want to dwell on simpler topics they already know.

So like @rishu2020 told you, just spend a few days with different courses (like wesbos, brad traversy or reed b. or kent. c dodds), see if you understand, if you can replicate, or do similar things on your own (+google / stack overflow / official docs). If you can, and you can also explain to yourself at least what you do and why you do it: you're good. If not, try something else for a few days.

I remember Brad Traversy said in some of his youtube videos that he learns things usually best by checking out a basic video about it, watching it thru, then immediately trying to build something with it - now that he knows the basics. There will be holes in your knowledge (always) but you can get over them with perseverance. I think this method works for many.

Last edited:

Latest resources