Best Advanced HTML/Vanilla JS course?

General Rules

• This Forum Rules:
    1. No asking for course requests or download links.
    2. Don't share links to other websites for downloads or references.
    3. Avoid controversial topics in discussions.

4. Use an appropriate thread title that matches your content, not just a word.

Other Forum Rules Can Be Found Here

eb3n

TutFlixer
Feb 8, 2021
England
Hi all!

I've recently started a job where we pretty much only use vanilla HTML and JS. Whilst I have a solid knowledge of these topics, I was wondering if there's any courses you guys have encountered that goes into depth with some advanced techniques?

I should add I'm not interested in any of the generic HTML/JS courses, as I'm already well versed in them, I was just hopeful there were undiscovered courses that focussed on ways of doing stuff without frameworks such as React or Vue!

Thanks,

Eb

gohan

TutFlixer
Nov 7, 2020
planet Krypton
hi there, i'm personally recommend
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
in his channel he share some technique to use html5 canvas and plain javascript visualizer, physics, particles,etc in project based, or
all project build with vanilla javascript greats learning materials for advanced level.
bytheway i understand you want to learn all the good stuff of javascript and understand how it works behind the scene so you choose plain js, and dont want any framework or libraries involved, but the progress of technology in programming language is pretty fast so dont avoid libraries and use them on your projects as well, it offer fast and great solution aswell. after all people only cares about the results, most of peoples dont event want to know how it done, as long as it works they love it

Last edited:

rougedev

TutFlixer
Mar 18, 2021
nomad
I'm more of framework guy, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

If you want to deep dive into understanding JS you can't go wrong with anything by Kyle Simpson or Will Sentance. They both have courses on frontendmasters. Also, Will is a great teacher and teaches at
for free which is an amazing resource I don't see being recommended often enough.

But if you want to learn more vanilla JS techniques, check out the
by Chris Ferdinandi. Everything from his podcast to his
is laser focused on vanilla JS techniques and rants against frameworks ;)

I would really recommend just jumping in some vanilla JS code and dissecting the techniques that were used. Look for components you want to implement on sites like
, and play with the code :cool:

eb3n

TutFlixer
Feb 8, 2021
England
Thanks for the recommendeations Gohan and Rougedev!

I'm sorry that I falied to mention this in my above post, but I've been a web dev for about 4 years now, with 3 years Vue.js experience and 1 year React.js. I love frameworks, don't get me wrong, but this company doesn't use them, so I need to learn how to do more advanced stuff without them, if this makes sense?

Again, thanks :D

gohan

TutFlixer
Nov 7, 2020
planet Krypton
oo shoot apparently you are more experience frontend enginer than me, i just recently have two year experience..well i think i'm actually not in place to give you advice hahaha... btw,if you dont mind me ask what is the reason your company prefer plain vanilla javascript than framework? is'nt that not great for big scale project?

anyway if you want more youtube channel recommendation for plain vanilla javascript, i suggest check out
he also talk plain vanilla javascript projects and share tutorial about how to build framework like react from scratch, or
she more into tweak code for fun visualization but i learn a lot from her about using math in vanilla javascript

eb3n

TutFlixer
Feb 8, 2021
England
Hey it's not a contest! And you're always in the place to give advice to anyone, no matter their experience ^^

The company prefer vanilla JS because we make such tiny web applications, which are sometimes embedded in articles, so there's really no need for an entire framework. I miss frameworks, since they make things a lot easier though :(

Code with Rajesh seems fantastic, so thanks very much for sharing! I will also check out Ana Tudor since that seems interesting too!

Reactions: gohan

sims0702

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
Belgium
wait so.. I don't get it, so codesmith is a coding school to which you need to complete this before being able to enroll to it or?

sims0702

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
Belgium
@rougedev
Could you explain this please?
What is this all about?
Is this literally the curriculum from them that goes from 0 to the hard parts or just the "pre" course before being approved so to say

rougedev

TutFlixer
Mar 18, 2021
nomad
I've completed the whole hard-parts online curriculum on codesmith without knowing what it is :cool: they teach software engineering skills from 0 to employable. The online stuff is free, I imagine they charge for the 12 week boot-camps offline. Just sign up and start anywhere you want. You can also watch all their content on their
, but the site has some challenges you can complete (like freecodecamp).

I love how Will teaches. The lectures can be long, but they are engaging and build mental models for how JavaScript works under the hood.

sims0702

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
Belgium
@rougedev
Damnn that’s epic though! Thanks!, will def be taking this I think, but like to get under the ‘hood’ past the basics would this be a good match?
Cause honestly I need to own js, not just use the frameworks and stuff

I am also going to look at frontendmasters they have so much ‘intermed to expert’ level courses

rougedev

TutFlixer
Mar 18, 2021
nomad
@sims0702 you are in luck! Will Sentance the CEO of codesmith has a frontendmasters course: JavaScript: The Hard Parts, so you can start there (I haven't completed it, because it was very much similar to the codesmith stuff which I have already done by then).

Will's way of teaching is about building practical mental models of how JavaScript runs our code. I knew it, but it solidified my knowledge. If you find it too easy, then jump to concepts you don't fully grasp (for me it was async programming - his other frontendmasters course JavaScript: The New Hard Parts) or supplement with Kyle Simpson's frontendmasters courses.

sims0702

TutFlixer
Nov 4, 2020
Belgium
@rougedev amazing!🤙🏼
thanks a lot, I mean I am thinking about it, I started with js till like past functions but stopped on codeczdemy to go with python to learn more about CS first, finished the py course but the course I wanted to take was not to be enrolled anymore till 26jun so I thought ***Used a Abusive Word *** it let me go back to webdev haha and taking colt’s one so will see when I come to js, i am taking it in part learn html css then some project tutflix on it and then moving further onto js

Latest resources